Skip to main content

Am I 3 or 13 or 30 again?

 


I write.

on days when it is a sea of storms,
on days I cannot go to the sea that storms
I write.
So I could still put it all down
whether I am 3 or 30,
a way of reaching Dad whether I speak of him
or not.
Grandad keeps circling my mind,
the way my dad used to
a melancholy hum on day to day
Life will always be bittersweet once
you are away from home.
My mother used to handle it well
even if they weren't taught
what it meant when one spoke
of depths hidden and deep.
She still let me be
In places she couldn't reach
Sitting there watching sky
While I crawled back to her slowly
whether I am 30 or 3
Loneliness haunts me
Whether I am 30 or 3
It is not an extension I got
from my mother my father or thee
I have honed it inside me
when I created those world(s) inside me
while I was trying to escape from the reality
Some days the act of creating tragedies of my day
disgust me to my core
some days I still resort to it
to soothe my soul
happiness always felt a bit difficult to swallow
but all good things feel difficult
better to get it done at the start
maybe that's why nights are easier
in days I am trying to survive
in nights my melancholy thrives
my grandad again circled my mind
it is never poetry
all these stories of life
where you feel lost before the story takes
the next turn
In a crossroad you can stay for years
and when the next path shows
one must push oneself to take
one step
or those crossroads keep coming back
I try to aim for a new cross road each time
but I admit I do not succeed everytime
He circled my mind again
Am I 3 or 13 or 30 again?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Turning 31...

 Krithika, my school best friend once gave me a gift I still carry in my heart. On one of my birthdays, when we were still in school, she calculated exactly how many years, months, days, hours, and minutes I had been by then. I remember her sitting so patiently beside me, doing every calculation by hand behind the notebook, fully focused. It felt less like math and more like love expressed in numbers.  It's been many years since then. She now lives in another city, and life has quietly drifted into something unrecognizable from those days when we hid fiction books inside our textbooks, hearts racing, pretending to study while actually escaping into other worlds, praying the teacher wouldn't notice. And somewhere along the way, I’ve understood something I wish I had known earlier, life only gets weirder. And it is often the very things that happened in childhood that, years later, helps one find their way back to oneself again. Yet somewhere in between, we lose them, only to re...

Publications till date (July 19 update)

Published Flash fiction - The Storymakers at thestoryvault.in Time : 5 min read Genre : Drama, children's fiction, psychological Essay - Coming To Terms with My Abuse and Abuser: Important Lessons I Learned at youthkiawaaz Time : 5 min read Genre : Gender, sexuality, gender-based violence, trauma, psychology Upcoming Poetry : "Dusk" and "Flash" in Issue 10 of Icelolly Review   Essay : "Did you trace the sunlight today" in Hope during the pandemic project of  Icelolly Review .

Travelogue 1 - Old Manali - Love - Slowly and then all at once!

“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book.” ― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars Replace that with 'place' and you have what I feel for Old Manali. I visited this charming little village of Manali during the Good Friday weekend of March 2024.  I first came across Old Manali through videos by travel youtuber Visha Khandelwal , who spent over a month there during lockdown.  I left for the place by taking Thursday off from work and since Friday was an off I got four full days off for my trip.  In fact, I have learned that slow travelling which truly grabs the essence of each moment  is what suits me best. Hectic vacations don’t offer the same sense of escape I crave from the routine of office life.  I booked my bus to Manali for 28th March 2024 taking the earliest one at 5.30 PM. In hindsight, I...